Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Last Project Artist Statement

Going to the Beach



For my project I wanted to explore what happens when a specific moment is taken out of an abstracted, experiential narrative and materialized as a photograph. In order to investigate this question, I sought to create a new narrative out of the original (non)-narratives of two sets of images. One of these sets of photographs is found photographs only related historically in that they are old. The other set of photographs are only related in that they were taken by me. And, while each individual photograph offers its own narrativistic interpretation, there is no real possible historical narrative than can be applied to the relationship between the images because they are derived from incompatible and irreconciliable contexts. I wanted to combine the photographs in this way because I was interested in the interaction between four found images and my own photos. I arranged the photos in this way because I was interested in the linear construction of a narrative. With this less familiar arrangement, the viewer is forced to confront his/her assumptions about the nature of time and its relationship with history and memory.


No comments: